Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trip to Cleveland, Ohio (Day 1)

Mark and I went on a quick trip this weekend to Cleveland, Ohio. In our quest to see all 50 states (and the state doesn't count unless we've BOTH been there), I was lacking we simply had to go. I mean, it really isn't one of those state I'd choose to take a vacation to, so that left it to be a weekend trip.It all started out pretty badly as I came down with a pretty nasty flu like virus on Friday. I felt HORRIBLE. Coughing, sneezing, terrible sore throat, runny nose and congestion, fever and body aches. Super!!! I did get on some Tamiflu in case I had that fabulous H1N1 (aka swine flu). I am certain I've been exposed to it with all of the patients that I've seen lately. So, I decided to just suck it up and get loaded up on Dayquil and Ibuprofen and my Tamiflu and was going anyway. I did bring a mask in case I started coughing so that I wouldn't infect others. We got up at 4 a.m. to leave and catch our 6 a.m. flight. I was very pleased that Continental gave us muffins, albeit commercially prepared high in trans fat muffins, but still. I think the last time I was fed breakfast on a plane was by American Airlines in 1998. Seriously. (International travel excluded). We landed without issue (which I totally deserved based on how my last trip went). We rented a new Ford Escape, which by the way gets awesome gas mileage for an SUV. We headed about an hour west to Marblehead lighthouse (the first lighthouse pic on here) on Lake Erie. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, in the 70s with only a few clouds in the sky. After that we went to another lighthouse (I'm drawing a blank on the name) that we had to walk quite a ways to. Oh, it's Huron....that's the name of it. By then my Dayquil was starting to wear off. But there would be a drug store in the next town.....surely. Riiiiigghhhht. We drove for what felt like forever before we finally stumbled upon a little Dollar General so I could buy more medications to numb my woes and enjoy this trip. Poor Mark. Every few miles I would announce "My lymph nodes are sore." "My throat is hurting worse." "My body is aching." And he would furiously try to find a drug store for me. Anyway, he ended up taking a dose of the stuff too. But probably more to numb the aches of his head from listening to me whine.We drove on to Vermillion, Ohio to see a really cool lighthouse that was made of metal....that's right! That would never work on a seashore. The salt water would make it nothing more than a big pile of rust. I should google and see if metal lighthouses are only found on fresh water lakes. Now that's got me wondering. This town had the cutest downtown area which also included one of the old time soda fountain shops. Of course we couldn't pass having lunch there. We have a soft spot for those places. Then on to Fairport Harbour, Ohio where we got to climb a lighthouse. It was the only one we did get to climb on this trip. Mark had actually visited this one on one of his trips down from New Hampshire to Tennessee back in 2004. It was under construction then and not open for tours. After that we headed to our hotel. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Cleveland. We were so exhausted that at dinner we were going to walk a few blocks to where there were several choices for dinner, but ended up just settling for the first thing we came across which was a bar and grill next door to the hotel.
Then off to sleepy town we went. We slept 10 hours and felt way better the next morning.

No comments: