The final renovation project for the kitchen is now finished!! After much planning and design, I built and installed a custom wood range hood. Thankfully I am somewhat adept with woodworking as the same cabinet design was quoted to us at over $2,000 which was a total ripoff. If you search the internet for resources for building such a hood, there is very little out there. Some of the best ideas I got came from touring homes that were in the process of being custom built.
Below are the photos showing progression of the installation.
Demolition - removed the previous cabinet - when we moved in the house, a microwave was installed below the cabinet. Now the microwave rests in the center island. It was quite painful cutting through the cabinet's three-layer crown I custom built two years ago but it had to be done.
I pre-built a frame to exact specifications to enclose the blower surround (bottom) yet fit perfectly in the space between the cabinets. Not exactly a job for the faint of heart. Went in the first time with no problems. Sides built out of 3/4" birch hardwood/plywood and framed with the help of a KREG pocket hole jig set. I set the depth such that the hood would come outward 6" from the existing cabinets - certainly adds dimension to the cabinets now. I also applied birch edge-band (hot melted) on the sides' bottom edges.
Installed the base blower/power pack very easily. Manufacturer of blower sold surround to fit perfectly. Luckily my electrical was in place from the old microwave.
Custom built my own duct work.
Attached the front frame - built out of 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 S4S and put together with the help of a KREG pocket hole jig set, of course. Corbels, courtesy of amazon.com, were attached in anticipation of holding a shelf.
Repaired existing crown and installed new crown to match. Built/installed a shelf. Routed out a channel for displaying any dish we choose (example dish shown)....and here you have it!!...